Tuesday, April 19, 2016

"My friend recommended this book but I don't like it!"

     Book recommendations represent an effort on someone's part to share likes, preferences or opinions. Oftentimes, a recommendation as a result of "I loved this book, you HAVE to read it!" will result in a total bust.

When students or adults recommend a book, the person getting the recommendation must realize there is a reason the reader enjoyed the book. Did the reader connect with the book? What was it about the book they liked? Case in point: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

A fellow teacher HIGHLY recommended this book. We both discovered our love of Mysteries, particularly who-dun-its.  I took the recommendation and read The Westing Game. There was action and intrigue....a plot twist to boot....I HATED it! The shock was that we both loved mysteries but I truly could not say I liked this book. What was it that made two fans of Mysteries not like the same book? I spoke to her about why she liked it. Her reasons were different than mine. I then realized that the reasons I disliked the book were specific to my needs as a reader: I like being able to solve the mystery, which I could not do in this book. Another issue was the number of main characters (10+) and I lost track of who was who. Someone else reading the book may enjoy the same genre as I (Mystery), even a sub-genre - Adventure, but the delivery of the story can still vary two people's likes and change someone final opinion about the book.
   
Even though we disagreed on "liking" the book, we did enjoy debating the merits of the story...and still do to this day! Are you team Gander or team Igel?
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment