Tuesday, April 19, 2016

"I didn't know this movie was a book!"


Many YA books have been turned into movies...MANY!  Then the debate ensues...what was better, the book or the movie?

I used to think the movies were better. I was always fascinated by how a cinematographer et al...could create a much more vivid visual representation than I could in my mind. Special effects were always a phenomenal addition...and the score...I never had Dolby Surround Sound in my head!  However, today, I would have to argue that the books are better than the movies. The movies are still great but the extended story lines and the intertwined relationships between the characters make the written stories better. I realize the feature-length movies have a time limit, which at times push the envelope (Lord of the Rings, etc...) but I find the complete omission of certain characters upsetting at times.

Obviously, being a reader, I will read the book before seeing the movie. Some might think that this ruins the movie. It, in fact, does not. I can still enjoy the movie. I just walk away with a smile knowing that I have a deeper connection with characters and that I will keep their secrets.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment